In February 2019, the Jamaica Gleaner published an article about by Nadine Maitland about the need for Jamaica to have a comprehensive information security governance framework.
The article discusses the following:
- A concerning increase in cost and impact of cyber crime in the past years.
- Many governments and organisations critical infrastructures rely on information systems.
- Jamaica requires a coordinated and deliberate approach for cyber security.
- Cyber crimes are often under-reported.
- The GDPR is a good example of a structured approach to data security.
- The Government of Jamaica should adopt the approach of the GDPR and enforce it.
- The sensitivity of the information in the developing NIDS system.
- A clear governance structure should be implemented and enforced.
The article quotes Ms. Maitland as “a lecturer at the School of Computing and Information Technology at the University of Technology, Jamaica”.